TRIP 2002

Update #28 - June 13th
Augusta, Maine - 4,569 miles (7310 KM)

Last week was a bit of a hard one for me. I got a call from the hospital late Monday afternoon that I was scheduled to come into the hospital for pre-surgery tests Tuesday afternoon and then I would be admitted the next afternoon around 1:30 p.m. and the operation would start around 3:30 p.m. The operation would take between three and four hours and I would be in the hospital for at least 48 hours for antibiotic treatment.

My anxiety really kicked in. I wasn't to eat after midnight and drink no fluids after 8:30 a.m. for the anthesthetics. I didn't get much sleep. About four minutes after noon (under 90 minutes before I was to be admitted), I got a call from the hospital saying that due to complications with my surgeon's morning operation my operation was cancelled. It wasn't until Thursday morning around 11 a.m. that I got a call back from the hospital saying that the operation had been rescheduled for 1:30 p.m. Friday afternoon.

I went to the same-day surgery department at noon on Friday. It wasn't that much of a wait until I was prepped for surgery and rolled into the operating room. They did have a bit of a problem finding a good vein for the IV. Once the anthesthetic was administered, I was out and didn't wake up till around 5:30 p.m. in the recovery room. They didn't have any rooms available on any of the adult floors so they rolled me into a room in the Pediatrics ward. The room was decorated with pandas rolling around on circus balls.

The operation was more extensive than anticipated. Due to the fact that I didn't get operated five weeks after the crash, the orthopaedic surgeon couldn't save the actual bone head of the left humurus. It had died due to lack of blood. An artificial head (ball) was fastened onto the top of the humurus using a short metal rod that was inserted into the marrow cavity.

There is a prediction that I will get back between 50 and 80 percent of my shoulder function back. I got an appointment with my specialist on the 18th and my first rehab therapy session is on the 21st of this month. At least, I'm on the recovery side of the accident and on the mend now. Praise ADONAI for that. I'm trying to keep a positive attitude and hope that I'll be able to get back to the ministry that ADONAI called me out to do. If I ever get back on the road from the accident, it will not be until at least September.

All I can do now is pray that things will work out and have faith. Any prayers would be appreciated.



Bicyclist in Sunset



All Written Material unless specified is by Rev. Johannes Myors
No part may be reproduced without prior permission by Rev. Myors.
(Main Graphics, Logos, Photos, and Text restricted use)

Copyright: 1998 to present