TRIP 2002

Update #34 - August 28th
Wytheville, Virginia - 5,726 miles (9162 KM)

I took two days off the road in the Washington, D.C. area to do the tourist things. The first day, I took a whirlwind walking tour around the Mall and also visited the Supreme Court and the Library of Congress. The National Postal Museum near Union Station and the Library of Congress were the most interesting. The only problem was the heat since the temperature was in the high 90's with heat index in the low 100's. The next day, I spent a short time at the National Zoo. By far, the most interesting animals to watch at since they were the most active were the Naked and Palestinian Mole Rats in the Small Animal Building. It was really neat watching how they scurried through the clear plexiglass tubes going forwards and backwards and climbing over and under each other.

Two days was enough off the bike this time. I crossed the Memorial Bridge into Virginia in front of Arlington National Cementary and got on the Mt. Vernon Bike Trail for the ride passed the Pentagon and the National Airport, through Alexandria, and then passed Mt. Vernon. Normally in Virginia I head south on U.S. 1 but since I was going to head to SE Kentucky, I took a southwesterly route through Charlottesville and Christiansburg.

For the most part, I had a good ride except for the some drivers who decided that I needed to be honked at for getting a few inches into their lane off the shoulder. The weather has been down right hot in the high 90's. I spent two sauna-like nights in my tent. There has been a change in the weather the past couple of days with temperatures in the seventies. Today, the temperature got into the sixties because of some much needed rain.
I've had some good responses from churches. In Woodbridge, I got to speak for a few minutes at an evening prayer service at a Methodist church. Afterwards, I got $60 in green-handshakes and a donated motel room. On August 25th, I got to speak during a Sunday-school class at a Methodist church in west Lynchburg. I was the youngest person in the room. Afterwards, I got $71 in green-handshakes and after the service I received $20 more. This was great since the night before I had to pay for a motel room in downtown Lynchburg. I did have to pay for another motel room Sunday night. The past two nights, I also had donated motel rooms.

I'm doing okay in the hills of Southwest Virginia. I'm taking my time walking if I have to going up and over the hills. A couple of days ago, I crossed the Blue Ridge Parkway and tomorrow I will be crossing the Appalachian Trail. I'll be taking U.S. 11 to Abingdon where I'll be starting my jaunt to SE Kentucky. I'm hoping to be at the Red Bird Mission in SE Kentucky in about a week.

As I wrote in other updates, I'm not sure where I'll be going or how long I will be out. Each day and mile cycled will be with ADONAI's and Y'SHUA's comfort, help, and guidance.



Bicyclist in Sunset



All Written Material unless specified is by Rev. Johannes Myors
No part may be reproduced without prior permission by Rev. Myors.
(Main Graphics, Logos, Photos, and Text restricted use)

Copyright: 1998 to present