TRIP 2008

Update #01 - January 07th
Americus, Georgia
0 miles (0 KM)

It's been a week since I got back to Americus, GA. I am looking for a month or more of rest but I am looking forward to my next missionary bike tour, which will be my 17th. My next trip will take me to the Pacific Northwest (Oregon and Washington state) and back with jaunts through Northwest Colorado, Northern Utah, and Southern Idaho. I haven't decided whether this will be a coast to coast trip, which would be my 15th.

I must admit that I've got bicycle touring in my blood and it has become a part of my life. It's hard to separate myself from a bike. Everybody is starting to know me as the "Cycling Rev." I think that when I sleep my legs possibly go through the motions automatically like when a dog's feet move around when they sleep.

I tell everybody that when it is time for my spirit to go up to Heaven to be with my Creator they would probably find my body alongside some road with a bicycle underneath me. Jokingly, I tell everybody that I would like to be buried with the bicycle that I have at the time (maybe sitting on the saddle). I know one thing for sure and that is that all of my efforts and struggles have been for a good cause.

The last two days of last year's trip went okay. I was really looking forward to end the trip by year's end and I was able to. I didn't want to extend the trip for even a day into the new year like my 15th missionary bike tour was extended (that trip was extended into the new year for over a month). I wasn't sure that the cold weather and rain would slow me down.

I was really happy that the rain had stopped Sunday morning (Dec 30th). I was able to head out around 9:30 a.m. The ride to and through Dothan, Alabama went okay. I got into Dothan around 11 a.m. Since I listened to a very good church service on my Walkman radio, I didn't feel like stopping at a church to take part in a service. I did stop for an early lunch. The ride to the Georgia state line went okay. It was great crossing the Chattahoochee River into Georgia west of Blakely. My bioclock liked it since I got back into the Eastern Time Zone. About three miles out of Blakely, this young couple in a truck pulled onto the shoulder in front of me. The guy, Bo, wanted to know if I wanted to get a lift somewhere since he was concerned about me getting caught in more bad weather. He had just come from Dothan, where he had taken his four month old baby boy Dalton checked out by a doctor for a cough. They were going to their grandmother's house in Calhoun.

Bo asked me where my goal was and I told him that I was heading back to Americus. I was hoping that Bo would take me at least into Blakely but he told me that he wouldn't mind taking me clear to Albany. There wasn't any room in the cab of the truck so I sat in the back. It was a fast ride to Calhoun and then I got into the cab with Bo. I got dropped off at the western edge of Albany. I rode through Albany and stopped at a low-cost motel where I've stayed at before on the northern edge of Albany.

Monday's (Dec 31st) ride went okay. It was about a 40 mile ride to Americus. I took several breaks along the way. I stopped at a gas station between Albany and Leesville to go to the restroom. Before heading out, I got into a conversation with a guy who was interested in my recumbent. We talked for about ten minutes. Before we parted company, the guy said that he was impressed with what I was doing and he wanted to help me out. He gave me a couple dollars.

At a gas station in Smithville, I was surprised when a young black guy slipped me a dollar. This would be the last "Green Handshake" for the year. I got into Americus around 1 p.m. and arrived back at my friend's (Richard's) condo around 1:30 p.m. Richard's residence have been my home base for the past five years. We've known each other for over 12 years when I started as a volunteer at the international headquarters of Habitat for Humanity here in Americus. Richard is in the Communication Services department as the Receipt Clerk.

I haven't done much since being back but rest. I haven't ventured very far from the condo. Most of my time has been on the internet working on this website. I'm sort of giving it a complete overhaul. It is taking me a lot of time since the website is almost 1,100 pages and takes almost 300 MBytes of space. I'm a little over halfway going through the pages. All the work has made a difference. The website has one three awards already this year mostly for design and content. The last award is the "Christian Website Award" from Gamepuppet (that I'm hoping to post real soon). I've won 275 awards from 41 countries around the world. Two days ago, I've had a visitor from Morocco. Morocco is my 113th country.

Before heading out, I've got to do some work on "Alice" my recumbent. I need to get new pads for my front and rear disc brakes. Also, I need to get a new rear wheel. I've got two broken spokes on it. I'm making the decision on whether it would be more cost effective to have the wheel relaced with new spokes or buy a new rear wheel. A new rear wheel would cost around $100 or more. What I've got to do is to find some way to raise money for these repairs.

Well, this is all I think I need to write now. The next update should be posted between January 14th and January 21st.



Bicyclist in Sunset



All Written Material unless specified is by Rev. Johannes Myors
No part may be reproduced without prior permission by Rev. Myors.
(Main Graphics, Logos, Photos, and Text restricted use)

Copyright: 1998 to present