TRIP 2012

Update #26 - December 05th
Thomasville, Georgia
2,261.91 miles (3,619.06 KM) - Mission Trip 33
5,068.34 miles (8,109.34 KM) - Year Total

The last twenty days have had their ups and downs. When I got to Americus, Georgia, I was hoping to maybe stop and volunteer with Habitat For Humanity again but it didn't happen. I'm on my way back to Baton Rouge, Louisiana

November 16th : Summerville, South Carolina to Orangeburg, Orangeburg, South Carolina - I had an okay night at the motel. I woke up around 6 AM. I left the motel a little before 8 AM. The ride north on US 78 was okay but it became better when I got on US 178. The roadway of US 78 was pretty rough and there was a lot of truck traffic. Traffic was a lot lighter on US 178 and the roadway had been repaved and there was a narrow shoulder to ride on seperated by a short rumble strip. I got about 25 miles (40 KM) in by noon.

The afternoon ride went okay. I got to the outskirts of Orangeburg a little before 5 PM. I got to the motel that I had a coupon for a little before dark.

November 17th : Orangeburg, South Carolina to Lexington, South Carolina - The motel room wasn't up to the chain standards so I was a little disappointed. The air conditioner/heater unit was broken. It was barely pumping out warm air last night but in the early morning I woke up to a cold room because the unit was just blowing out cold air. It was just a few degrees warmer inside the room than the outside. There was also a problem with the cable connection to the tv. I kind of knew that my complaining wouldn't do anything because the management was from India. The one saving grace was that I had a decent breakfast with a hot waffle but I'm not sure how long the waffle mixture stood around in the container.

I was hoping to get on the road before 8 AM but I found a flat front tire on Alice. The patched tube that had been in the tire since Massachusetts had finally gone out. I put in a new innertube and got the tire inflated to a little over 50 psi. I walked Alice for about a mile ( 2 KM) before I came to an auto repair shop where I was able to use an air hose to get the tires properly inflated.

The ride north to Lexington went okay but I found out that my camera was missing from it's case on the bike. I used it yesterday and I was pretty sure that I put it away okay. I didn't take it out of the case last night. Not too sure what I'll do for a camera now. I rode to the town of North, where I switched highways to go to Swansea, and then I switched over to another road to get to Lexington. The ride between North and Swansea took a while because I was riding against a cold headwind. The ride between Swansea and Lexington was a little better but there were hills to deal with instead of a wind.

I got into Lexington right at dusk and I got to my friend's apartment complex a little after dark. I'll be staying over tomorrow.

November 18th thru November 22nd: Lexington, South Carolina - Just some rest days off the roads with friends.

November 23rd : Lexington, South Carolina to Aiken, South Carolina - After some prayer, I got on the road around 8:15 AM. The temperature was in the upper 40s. I walked through town before getting on Alice. US 1 was pretty rough. The roadway was washboardy in a lot of places. There were some headwinds and hills to deal with. By noon, I had only ridden 18 miles (29 KM).

The afternoon ride was a little better but there were some steep rolling hills to get up and over. I walked up a couple of times. I got into Aiken at dusk. It was a little before 6 PM, when I found the police station. The officer that I talked to wasn't able to connect with the department chaplain. There was a Salvation Army shelter. I didn't want to risk going there. I broke down and got a motel room under $50.

I've got about a 14 mile (22 KM) ride to the Georgia state line tomorrow morning.

November 24th : Aiken, South Carolina to South Augusta, Georgia - I had an okay night. There was a hot breakfast. I got on the road around 7:40 AM. The ride to the GA State Line went okay. I crossed the Savanna River into Augusta, Georgia. There wasn't a state sign to take a picture of. There was some kind of road race going on in the downtown area.

I got about 6 miles (10 KM) from the River when another link split apart on the chain. I tried putting the link together with the tools that I had but I couldn't. I walked to a nearby quickmart to check out the phone book. I found the address to a bike shop a couple of miles away in the Central Business District. I got maybe 3/4ths the way to the bike shop that I was going to when I came across another bike shop (Andy Jordan's Bicycle Warehouse). The mechanic was able to get the link back together. I was told that I should get the chains replaced. I can't afford it right now. I bought a chain tool so I could fix the any more broken links.

I stopped for a late lunch at a McDs that I had passed. I was going to try and ride to Wrens but it was getting too late to try it before it got dark. I decided to break down and get a room at a motel near I-520. The manager gave me a $5 discount on the room.

November 25th : South Augusta, Georgia to Louisville, Georgia - I had an okay night. I left the motel around 7:30 AM. It was really cold. I had to put on my two coats and my other pair of gloves. For the first 12 miles (19 KM), the ride was up and over hills. I took my time and I didn't have to get up and walk over them. I was hoping to find a church between Augusta and Wrens when it was around 11 AM but there weren't any. I got into Wrens around noon. I got 28.5 miles (46 KM) in by noon. I stopped for a hot lunch.

The afternoon went okay. I stopped at a closed restaurant for an extended break. The temperature got up into the low sixties so I took off my second coat off but I kept my lightweight coat on. I got into Louisville around 3:20 PM. I stopped at the United Methodist Church. There were some ladies hanging up the Christmas decorations. The pastor lived next door. Instead of letting me stay at the church, he offered to get me a room at one of the motels in town because it was going to be in the upper 20s.

I am going to be riding to Dublin tomorrow.

November 26th : Louisville, Georgia to Dublin, Georgia - I had an okay night even though I woke up around 5 AM. I left the motel around 7:30 AM. It was really cold. The temperature was in the upper 20s. I had to put on my two coats and my other pair of gloves. By 9 AM, I was able to take my second coat and my gloves off. By 11:30 AM, I was able to take my other coat off. I got almost 30 miles (48 KM) in by noon. I stopped alongside the road for a short lunch break. I stopped in Wrightsville at a gas station just to go to the restroom and fill up the water bottles.

The afternoon ride went okay. I got into the Dublin area around 3:30 PM. I stopped at a Baptist Church and talked with the assistant minister but he didn't have any idea on where I could spend the night. I went over to the nearby First United Methodist Church. The secretary was friendly. The pastor had left an hour ago but the secretary was able to connect me with him. An offer was made to get me a room at a motel a couple of blocks away.

Tomorrow might be a wet day. There might be a couple of thunderstorms. I was hoping to make it to Hawkinsville but if I can just make it to Cochran that would be okay.

November 27th : Dublin, Georgia to Cochran, Georgia - I had an okay night even though I woke up early. I tried falling back asleep but all I did was toss and turn. I left the motel around 8:10 AM. It was cool in the 50s but it hadn't started to rain. About 18 miles (29 KM) out of Cochran, it started to lightly rain. The rain lasted for about a half hour and then it quit. About 15 miles (24 KM) out of Cochran, it started up again. The rain was pretty steady.

I got into Cochran around 1:30 PM. I stopped at the United Methodist Church. Rev Carnley gave me permission to stay in the education building for the night. About a half hour later, Rev Carnley told me that he was thinking that it wouldn't be warm enough for me so he offered to get me a room at the motel at the northern edge of town. Before I left to the motel, Rev Carnley slipped me $20 in a green handshake.

November 28th : Cochran, Georgia to Hawkinsville, Georgia - For some reason, I've been waking up around 4 AM. I don'ty know what is going on. I tried falling asleep but I wasn't able to. I just kept tossing and turning. I left the motel a little before 8 AM. It was cool but not as cold as it has been during the morning. The ride to Hawkinsville went okay. I got into Hawkinsville around 10 AM. I had a hard time getting onto GA 27. I stopped to get some hot chocolate.

I got about a mile (2 KM) down the road when I got clipped by a car. I had a shoulder to ride along so I was away from traffic. I heard a swoosh and then a bang. The rear view mirror on the handlebar got hit and the glass was shattered. I was knocked to the side but I didn't crash. I was able to stop. I was pretty shaken up. I didn't feel like going on to Vienna. I've got to get the mirror replaced soon.

I didn't have far to travel so I rode back into town. I stopped at the First Baptist Church. The secretary told me that because I got hit in town the police should be called. Two officers came by but they couldn't do a report because I wasn't able to tell them anything about the car that hit me. I noticed a cut in my jacket. It might have come from one of the flying glass shards. Through the sheriff's office, a room at a local motel was arranged and also a meal at a local restaurant.

After a short nap, I went out to see if I could find another mirror. It took me going to three stores but I was able to find a new mirror. I found a two inch convex mirror at an auto parts store. It fit right into the old mirror slot.

I stopped at the restaurant where I got a card for the meal. They actually upgraded the meal and gave me a bigger sandwich with two hamburger patties instead of just one.

November 29th : Hawkinsville, Georgia to Cordele, Georgia - For some reason, I've been waking up around 4 AM. I don't know what is going on. I tried falling asleep but I wasn't able to. I just kept tossing and turning. When I looked outside, there was some fog so I delayed my start. I left the motel a little before 9 AM. It was cool but not as cold as it has been during the morning. Instead of going to Vienna, I decided to head south to Cordele instead. The ride south went okay. Even with the late start, I got 23 miles (37 KM) in by noon time. I stopped for a roadside break.

I got into Cordele around 1:30 PM. I stopped at the First Baptist Church. The pastor was pretty friendly. Rev Roner offered to get me a room at one of the motels near the interstate on the Eastern edge of Cordele. Before I left, Rev Roner took out his wallet and he slipped me $10.

November 30th : Cordele, Georgia to Americus, Georgia - For some reason, I've been waking up around 4 AM. I don't know what is going on. I tried falling asleep but I wasn't able to. I just kept tossing and turning again. It was around 8:30 AM when I headed out. The temperature was a little cool but it wasn't as cold as yesterday. I was able to take a coat off.

I got into Americus around 1 PM. I went over to the headquarters of Habitat For Humanity. It's been 11 years since I volunteered there. I was hoping to volunteer again but it didn't work out. When I walked into the Rylander, it was a spiritually cold place. The people who I saw didn't have a smile on their face and they didn't seem friendly. The guy who was on the desk didn't seem to know what was going on. It took a long time for somebody to come out to talk to me. They changed the operating procedures. Earlier in the week, they had a large group of snowbirds so the person that I talked to didn't even think that they had room in volunteer housing.

I went around to the churches but I didn't find anybody in the offices. I called up a pastor friend of mine in New York and he helped me get a room for the night at one of the local churches. I was able to connect with a pastor friend of mine. He invited me to a Bible study tomorrow morning.

December 01st : Americus, Georgia to Albany, Georgia - Last night wasn't a good night. There was a smoke detector that had a battery going bad and was randomly chirping. I think that it was in the next room. A little after midnight, there was a loud disturbance outside. A lady and a guy were yelling. The yelling lasted for about twenty minutes. I slept till around 5:30 AM. There was a breakfast but it wasn't that good. It was mostly stale food.

I left the motel around 9 AM. I walked back into town to meet up with a minister acquaintance of mine. I got a late start of Americus. The ride south to Albany went okay. I got to the motel where a pastor friend of mine arranged for a couple nights stay around 4 PM.

December 02nd : Albany, Georgia - I was going to ride to my friend's church but my body was exhausted. It was almost 10 AM when I woke up. Around 1 PM, my pastor friend came by. He had a plate of food that he has saved from the breakfast at the church and some snacks. He also gave me a box that had some rolled up coins and some cash. I was able to connect with some friends in Moultrie. I'll be riding there tomorrow and spending the night with them.

December 03rd : Albany, Georgia to Moultrie, Georgia - It was around 8:45 AM when I left the motel. I tried a different route getting into the downtown area but it didn't work out. I went almost a large circle. I rode through the downtown area. When I got back on US 19, I couldn't get on it because it was restricted access. I had to find a different route to get onto GA 133 to Moultrie.

Riding down GA 133 was hard because there was a rumble strip. Around noon, I wasn't riding really well because it felt that the rear tire was going soft. I found a piece of glass shard in the tire. There were a couple of holes in the thorn proof innertube. I put in a regular inner tube. The pump was acting up. The pump kept on slipping off of the valve stem. I don't know how many hundreds of times that I tried getting the tire up. I got the tube inflated up to about 20 psi before it slipped off again. When I got the pump back on, the tube deflated again. After about a couple hours, I called up my friend in Moultrie. He wasn't available to come and get me. I called 911 to see if an officer could come and help me. An officer came but he didn't have an air pump. This guy finally stopped. He had an air compressor but he couldn't find the right chuck. He offered to take the wheel to a gas station about a mile away to see if he could inflate it. I got on the rode again at about 3 PM.

I rode to the gas station and I got the tire inflated more. I had about 25 miles (40 KM) to ride to Moultrie. I got about 13 miles (21 KM) in when I got a call from my friend. If I would keep on going, he would meet me. It was good that Lester had come and got me because if I would have gone to the old address I wouldn't have found them. They had moved three years ago. I'm in the guest house for the night.

December 04th : Moultrie, Georgia - I didn't sleep very well during the night. My friend, Lester, said that it was okay for me to stay over for the day. I didn't do much during the day.

December 05th : Moultrie, Georgia to Thomasville, Georgia - I had a little better night. Lester offered to take to Walmart so that I could see if I could find a new pump. On the way to the store, Lester stopped at his bank. When we got to Walmart, slipped me $40. I was able to get a small foot powered pump that was made mostly of metal. It was rated for 120 psi. Also, I got a new innertube for the rear tire and some small bungee cords because I was going to fasten the new pump below the seat.

It was almost 9:30 AM when I headed south to Thomasville. The ride was slow because I had to deal with a rumble strip that went clear across the shoulder. I got around 19 miles (30 KM) in by noon. The afternoon ride went a little better. I got into downtown Thomasville around 2 PM. I stopped at the First Presbyterian Church. The pastor offered me to get me a room at a motel Northwest of town. Before I left the church property, I had to use the new pump to put in the new innertube in the rear tire. The new pump worked really well. It took me less than ten minutes to get the innertube changed and the wheel back on the recumbent. I'm going to be riding to Florida tomorrow.

I'm looking at riding back to Baton Rouge, Louisiana. I'm looking at being back in Baton Rouge around December 16th. The next update will possibly be posted between December 12th and December 19th.



Bicyclist in Sunset



All Written Material unless specified is by Rev. Johannes Myors
No part may be reproduced without prior permission by Rev. Myors.
(Main Graphics, Logos, Photos, and Text restricted use)

Copyright: 1998 to present