TRIP 2013

Update #20 - August 15
Culpeper, Virginia
Mission Trip 34: 6,300.36 miles (10,080.58 KM)
7,650.09 miles (12,240.14 KM) - Year Total

Currently, I'm in Culpeper, Virginia. From here, I'll be heading Southwest to Southwestern North Carolina before turning West to Moore, Oklahoma. I am riding to Moore, Oklahoma to see what I can do with regards to helping out with the rebuilding after this Spring's deadly tornado

August 09 : Smoketown, PA to South York, PA - 41.67 miles (66.72 KM)

I had an okay afternoon and night. It was good having wifi access. Before the pastor left, the pastor gave me several boxes of snack cakes and he gave me free reign to what was in the kitchen frig. I went to bed around 9:30 PM.

I woke up around 5:30 AM. I left the church around 7:50 AM. I sort of scared the cleaning lady because the pastor mustn't have left her a note. It must have rained a lot during the night because there were puddles. It smelled of rain. The ride into Lancaster went okay even though there was road construction most of the way. It took a while finding the right road (PA 462) that paralleled US 30. There were a lot of rolling hills to Mountville. I rode over the long bridge over the Susquehanna River between Columbia and Wrightsville. I stopped in Wrightsville for lunch.

The ride to East York went okay. I had to stop under a tree to wait out a rain shower. I stopped at an outlet store of the Stouffer's cookie factory. It was a tricky ride getting to the "Old Trail Road" (South George Street / Susquehenna Trail South (PA 216)) that would take me South to Jacobus and Loganville and then to the MD State Line and connect with MD 45.

I got into Loganville around 5:15 PM. I heard on the radio that there was a good chance for more rain and possible thunderstorm tonight. I stopped at the Emanuel Methodist Church. I stopped at the door to the house next to the church where I thought the minister lived. The church had a part time minister who lived in York. The house was rented by an elderly lady who was a church member. She gave me the phone numbers for the president of the church council. Instead of letting me stay in the church for the night, he offered to get me room at the Holiday Inn Express in South York. I had about a 4.0 mile backtrack. The Holiday Inn Express was a pretty big hotel with four floors. There was a lot of activity because there was a youth soccer tournament going on. It was wall to wall kids.

I'm about 20 miles North of the MD state line.

August 10 : South York, PA to St. Denis, MD - 51.92 miles (83.07 KM)

I had an okay night at the motel. The room was comfortable once I got it a little warmer because the air conditioning had been turned on high. The big plus along with the freshly baked cookies was the guest washer and dryer. I got all of the dirty clothes washed and dried. There wasn't much on television to keep my interest. I went to bed around 10:30 PM.

I woke up early around 4 AM but I was able to get back to sleep around 6 AM. There was a good free breakfast. The breakfast room was packed with kids who were in the area for a soccer tournament. Some teenage girls went to a door a couple of doors from me to wish another girl a happy fifteenth birthday.

I left the motel a little before 8 AM. I had an okay backtrack to Loganport. The rest of the ride to the MD state line went okay but there were quite a few rolling hills to get over. I rode through Shrewsbury. I crossed into Maryland around 10:30. I headed south on MD 45. There was a really long hill to get over between Parkton and Hunt Valley. I could have gotten on the rails to trails path but the path wasn't paved and it just had a crushed stone surface. I stopped on the side of the road between Hunt Valley and Cockeysville for lunch.

The ride in the afternoon was long. I took quite a few breaks because the temperature was in the mid 80s. Along the way, I checked out churches but I didn't find anybody around them. Once I got into Towson and South of I 695, I was in the Northern edges of Baltimore. The only option that I had was to get through the Baltimore area as fast as I could. MD 45 took me through a very economically depressed black area. It was really scary. I got into the Inner Harbor -downtown area a little after dusk. I felt more comfortable because there were a lot more people. There must have been some kind of party or convention going on because there were a lot of people in their twenties walking around in costume. I got on MD 295 till it connected with I-95. I stopped for supper at a gas station. It was dark when I got on Washington Blvd (Bus US 1).

I rode through Morrell Park and Wynnewood. Near the intersection of Bus 1 and US 1, the front brake locked up. I had to stop under a street light to check it out. The spring holding the disc pads apart was really stretched out. I couldn't find the extra spring. I found a place to camp out in some woods in St Denis near the I-195 interchange. The area wasn't that all level. It was around 11:30 PM when I crawled into the tent.

August 11 : St. Denis, MD to Elkridge, MD - 04.92 miles (7.87 KM)

I had an okay night. It didn't get too cold and there wasn't much noise. I was concerned that this was a trail that people had made but there wasn't any traffic. I woke up around 6:30 AM. Going through my things, I found the extra disc pad spring. I took my time getting Alice packed up but I got back on the road around 8 AM. I did stop to put the new spring into the disc brake unit. The disc pads were really worn out. They weren't as high of quality that I was hoping for. I had only gotten 1,256 miles on the pads. I'm probably going to have to get more before I hit the Appalachian Mountains again.

I stopped at a gas station to get some breakfast. About a mile down the road, the front brakes went out. Somehow the new pad spring had fallen out and one of the pads had almost fallen out. It's going to be tricky only having the rear brake working.

A little after 10 AM, I stopped at the Trinity Episcopal Church. They were having a service that started at 10:15 AM. I met the rector before the service. During the announcements before communion, the rector asked me if I wanted to say something to the church. This was the 41st church for the year. During the fellowship hour, one lady slipped me $3 in a GH and another lady slipped me $20. The rector gave me permission to stay in the parish hall for the night. There is tv to watch but no sofa to sleep on. There is some carpeting to sleep on.

I've got to try and find a bike shop tomorrow to get somre more brake pads. I'm thinking about riding to a subway stop to take Metro the rest of the way into DC and also to take Metro out to a far station in Virginia. If I could take the Metro as far as Reston or Herndon so this would give me a headstart out into the country. I'm going to get on the WO&D bike trail.

August 12 : Elkridge, MD to Doveville, VA - 47.01 miles (75.22 KM)

I had an okay afternoon and night. There was a wide screen tv to watch but no wifi. I spent most of the time working on the renaming of the Audio Bible sections. I packed everything up around 10 AM. Instead of stretching the sleeping bag onto the carpeting, I slept on the pile of rubberdized exercise sections that the ju-jitso class puts down. They were in sort of an alcove near the restrooms and away from the light from the emergency exit signs.

I woke up around 5 AM and I left the church a little before 7 AM. The ride South on US 1 went okay. There were a lot of rollers and I took them slow because I didn't have any front brakes. In College Park, I stopped at a bike shop. I was able to buy a new spring for the brake unit for $1. I got the brake operational but I'm probably not going to be able to use it much because the brake disc has a slight wobble to it.

In Hyattesville, I stopped for an early lunch. I got into Washington DC around 12:15 PM. The ride down to the Mall went okay. I got on the Mall about halfway between the Capitol and the Washington Monument. There was scaffolding around the Washington Monument so they can do the extensive repairs from the earthquake last Spring. There were a lot of tourist walking, on segways, and bicycles. There were several bike share programs.

I rode over to the World War II Memorial to take some pictures of it. From there, I rode over to take a look at the new Martin Luther King Memorial and the FDR Memorial. The MLK memorial was under repair because they were in the process of sandblasting out a quote of MLK that people didn't like. THE FDR Memorial was pretty impressive with it's many rooms. I rode over to the Korean War Memorial. I stopped to talk to a friendly park ranger. Also, I stopped to talk to a guy who had a pedal rickshaw. The richshaw had 21 speeds and I was told that they weight around 200 pounds before the people (up to three small get in).

Before crossing the Memorial Bridge to Arlington, VA, I stopped to check out the Lincoln Memorial. Instead of riding through Arlington to get on the WO&D Trail like last year, I took the George Washington Parkway to Alexandria. In Alexandria, I got on Duke Ave that would take me through Annandale to Fairfax.

Around 8:30 PM, I came across the St. Michael's United Methodist Church in Doveville about five miles East of Fairfax. I saw some cars in the front parking lot. I found some guys in the youth room having a district meeting. One of the guys called one of the ministerial staff and I got permission to camp out in a wooded glade that was on the East side of the church. It was a little tricky finding a place to camp out because the tree cover was a little thin and the glade was next to a residential street. There was probably fifty feet seperating me from the street. I had the tent pitched by around 9 PM.

There is a possibility to have rain or thunderstorms in the morning after midnight. I'll be riding through Fairfax tomorrow and then riding through Warrenton and Culpepper like last year before Hurricane Sandy.

August 13 : Doveville, VA to Warrenton, VA - 41.17 miles (65.87 KM)

I had an okay night. I woke up really early so that I could pack up before daylight. I got on the road around 6 AM. It was lightly drizzling. I stopped for an extended break at a Dunkin Donuts for breakfast, wait out a rain shower, and use the wifi. The ride to Fairfax went okay. At a gas station, a guy slipped me $20.

I took my time getting through the Manassas Battlefield. On the side of the road, I had a big surprise. In the grass, I found a $100 bill and 4-$50 bills. They were quite wet so they must have been there for a while. This was the second biggest find that I've found during these past 20 years.

I stopped for a late lunch in Gainesville. About 6 miles out of Warrenton, I had to walk through a wreck. Two cars were involved. The cars were totaled. I didn't see any major injuries.

I got into Warrenton around 5 PM. I took the wrong road into Warrenton. Stopped at a motel where I had stayed at before.

August 14 : Warrenton, VA to Culpeper, VA - 31.47 miles (50.35 KM)

I had an okay night. It would have been better if there was wifi. The room was at the limit of wifi modem in the office. The motel was run by a member of the Patel clan and they don't put a lot of money into their motels. They do ask a lot of money for their rooms though.

I went to bed before 10 PM. I woke up around 5:30 AM. I stayed around kind of late because I wanted to get the renaming of the Audio Bible verses. I left the motel around 8:45 AM. I stayed in town late because I wanted to get to the bike shop that I had stopped at a couple of years ago to see if I could buy some more brake pads and a new disc rotor but the bike shop wasn't listed in the current phone book. There was another bike shop listed in the phone book but since it wasn't on the main road I didn't want to try and find it. I'll see if there is a bike shop in Charlotteville.

I went down to a gas station down the road to get some breakfast. Before leaving the Culpeper area, I stopped at a Walmart to get a few things . I was able to get a few things replaced that I had wanted to get replaced and I got a second headlight to make a pair.

The ride South on US 29 went okay but there was a lot of traffic to deal with. There was a good tailwind from the Northwest to push me along. I got into Culpeper around 3 PM. I stopped at some of the churches downtown to see if I could connect with a minister. I found some people in the office of the Culpeper Baptist Church. They were between head pastors and they had just an interim. The interim pastor was contacted and an offer was made to get a motel room for the night. I got a room at the Best Western on the Southern edge of town.

The next trip update should be posted sometime between August 22nd and 29th.



Bicyclist in Sunset



All Written Material unless specified is by Rev. Johannes Myors
No part may be reproduced without prior permission by Rev. Myors.
(Main Graphics, Logos, Photos, and Text restricted use)

Copyright: 1998 to present